Wednesday 16 April 2008

Study Leave - Part 1 of many

Look at that optimistic title there.... pure class. How long do you think I'll keep this up?

Yes - two weeks of Study Leave. One here and one in God's Own Country on the north coast of County Antrim. Lots of beard stroking (my own beard), coffee brewing and pleasant thumbing through life changing tomes. After seven years incarceration - whoops, I mean in divine service - I bloody deserve it.

The 'study' part will involve a closer look at Universalism. This has been on my mind for some time. Put simply (for I am not a person of great depth) I want to be a Universalist in my heart, but my head holds me back. More specifically, that part of my head that's filled with scary Bible stories and stern voices from my past. Sometimes my own stern voice.

Quite where this is going to lead I don't know, but I'm determined to enjoy the journey. I'd like you to join me for as much of it as you can, in the midst of your busy, non study-leave existence.

To begin with, I'd welcome suggestions for titles for the 'essay' that the good people at 121 George Street (church HQ) will require in return for graciously giving me a two week break after seven years incarceration - whoops - I mean divine service.

Preferred options so far:

1) A wideness in God's mercy. How good is the good news? (this is the serious one)

2) 99.8% of all human beings who ever lived will burn forever in a fiery pit. Is this good news?

3) Saving the one sheep. Why we really shouldn't bother about the other 99 because it was their fault anyway.

4) Blogging - the ideal way to evade your study leave assignment.

Progress so far. Have drank lots of coffee, gone for a walk, updated my answerphone message, set up an out of office reply on the email and read chapters 1 and 2 of Keith Wards "What the Bible Really Teaches" which has reassuringly confirmed that I am not a heretic for sliding into a more open stance on the status of Scripture. At least, as far as Keith's concerned.

I think that's not a bad morning's work....

Blessings

FBL

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd love to be a universalist... there are arguments for and against, and it all gets terribly confusing, and after a bit of anguish I lean back on the tried and tested "Will not the judge of all the earth do right?"

Real right, not my right, and a right shot through with love beyond my understanding.

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

I'd buy that.

I'm not an a-milleniallist or a pre-milleniallist. I'm a pan-milennialist. I believe it'll all pan out in the end.....

Blessings

FBL

liz crumlish said...

Can you imagine heaven filled with presbyterians - especially "saved presbyterians"? - enough to convince one that there must be something in universalism.

liz crumlish said...

For a title - how about "Saving heaven from the church - the benefits of universalism". :)