Friday 22 February 2008

Comic Timing

Comedy has always been a release valve from me.

(That began as a typo, but on reflection I think it's a truth. Scarily Freudian. A release valve from me, rather than for me. Hmmmmm.)

It began as a kid when we'd watch Not the Nine O'Clock News and the Young Ones and run through the routines the next morning in school assembly. Kudos for those who could remember the most. And it's continued well into adulthood - when I'm tired and just want to switch off my brain, it's Dave or UKTV Gold I gravitate to. I never tire of re-runs of Fawlty Towers, Alan Partridge, HIGNFY or Buzzcocks.

Half the DVD's and videos in my collection are standup: I love the storytelling skills of Billy Connolly and the mad surrealism of Eddie Izzard and Harry Hill.

I was watching Dara O'Briain late last night, and one of the things he does is pick on members of the audience and improvise whole chunks of his act around a conversation with them. It's a remarkable gift.

But one of his questions to the audience stopped me in my tracks last night and made me think long and hard. He pounced on one poor guy with "what's the most amazing thing you've ever done?". Try answering that in five seconds! I'm struggling 12 hours later!

What would you have said?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Eddie Izzard!! Utter genius. Bill Bailey is also a fine comedian. I'm always on the lookout for new stand-up comedians you look up on youtube, so if you can recommend a lesser-known dude or dudette to research, kindly do so :)

Most amazing thing I've ever done... wow. My gap year? Soul in the City? Walking along an unending road by the sea (while praying with my friends) with stars scattered above us like glitter? Falling in love?

Any or all of the above!

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

I know it's an everyday miracle, but being present at the birth of two of my three kids (sorry Marrow!) was just amazing.

Phil Jupitus does an impression of Eddie Izzard pretending to be Obi Wan Kenobi. He cuts a slice of bread with a lightsabre and says "Toast, Darth Vader?". Have you seen it? It's uncanny!

I'm with you on Bill Bailey too.

FBL