Tuesday 2 October 2007

Creed

Every now and again I visit a wonderful place down near Perth called "The Bield". "Bield" is an old Scottish word with resonances of shelter, rest and refuge and it's a great place to go when you need a dirty weekend away with God.

http://www.bieldatblackruthven.org.uk/The%20Bield%20at%20Blackruthven/Welcome.html

As part of the programme, there's the option of attending devotions in the wee chapel, led by the staff, and I always seem to come away with something rich from those times. In the middle of another busy week (are there ever any quiet ones?!) I simply want to post a poem I heard there which has stayed with me ever since. It's by Adrian Plass and it's called 'Creed'.

CREED

I cannot say my creed in words.
How should I spell despair, excitement, joy and grief,
amazement, anger, certainty and unbelief?
What was the grammar of those sleepless nights?
Who the subject? What the object
of a friend who will not come,or does not come?
And then creates his own eccentric special dawn:
a blinding light that does not blind.

Why do I find you in the secret wordless places
where I hide from your eternal light?
I hate you.
I love you.
I miss you.
I wish that you would go,
and yet I know that long ago
you made a fairytale for me:
About the day that you would take your sword
and battle through the thicket of the things I have become.
You’ll kiss to life my sleeping beauty,
waiting for her prince to come.
Then I will wake,
and look into your eyes,
and understand.

And for the first time, I will not be dumb.
And I shall say my creed in words.


Two things I love about that. God's determination to "battle through the thicket of the things I have become", and the prospect of finally, one day, finding the right words.

TODAY'S GLOWING EMBERS OF TRUTH: Know thyself? If I knew myself I'd probably run away....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's what I, and so many others, love about Adrian Plass. He may not have the answers, but it's good to know that someone else struggles with the same questions.

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

Yep - he makes me feel that my rambling, incoherent attempts to be a follower of Jesus are actually ok. A thoroughly good bloke.

Have you done any work yet, Anna, or still partying hard?!

Have the CU hunted you down yet?

FBL

Unknown said...

I swear, I'll start working tomorrow... ;)