Wednesday 26 September 2007

The Invisible Man


Reflection on this Sunday's gospel:

Dives and Lazarus

Luke 16:19-31




A voice from the other side

What I like most about this place
is that it’s always
just the right temperature.

That other place was so hot at times;
the sun would bake the earth to dust,
and the wind would lift it
and lash it into our faces
like it were punishing us.
Punishing us for being poor;
or maybe, just for being.
But there’s none of that here. It’s perfect.

And the light.
How can I describe the light to you?

It’s like that golden hour after dawn, or before dusk
when shadows are long
and the sun spreads its glow
across everything it touches, like spilt honey.

It reminds me of those evenings
when work was finally done
and we’d gather in that warm light;
sitting by the fire and sharing the little we had together.
Laughing, despite ourselves.
We had to laugh.
Sometimes it was all that kept away the tears.



It’s funny how some things stay with you.
Stronger than memories,
but less powerful somehow,
because here they can’t hurt you any more.

The hours of scraping a living off the land,
days of planting, picking and gathering –
well they’ve disappeared,
along with the sore back
and the calloused fingers that went with them.
I know that they happened,
but I can’t seem to recall much about them now.

But I remember my wife’s smile,
and the way she looked away from me shyly
when I first picked up the courage to talk to her.

I remember when we first made love
the evening we were married by the tribal elder;
sloping off to our tent like naughty children
with the laughing eyes of the villagers upon us.

And I remember our firstborn;
the wonder of seeing her thrust into the world;
a precious gift from God.
We passed her between us as if she were the first of her kind;
shockingly new.
And we loved her with everything we had within us.

But I remember too
the day the men came.
Men with strange speech
and odd clothes.
Smiling,
but never with their eyes,

I remember their shiny jewellery,
their expensive shoes,
and the way their eyes looked around them
even as they spoke to us.
Sizing up our people
scoping out the settlement.

I remember when the first of the trees fell,
and their machines started ripping up the landscape
we naïvely thought was ours.

“Making space for cattle” they said.
How many cattle do these rich people need?
How big are their bellies to need so much food?
Why should their hunger matter more than ours?
Why are their desires more important than our livelihood?

It’s easy now to see that I should have acted differently,
but an anger burned within me
that I couldn’t contain.
A rage for my people.
And for justice.

Without thinking I ran in front of one of the great machines
to make them stop this madness,

I heard you scream.

I felt you slip away.

And here I am.


There was no trial;
no media interest, of course.
We are the poor.
And our lives don’t count in that world.

All that happened was a sharp word from his boss
because this kind of thing isn’t good
for public relations.

The driver’s excuse?
He didn’t see me.

But he sees me now.
And I see him.

There he is,
Down there, across the chasm,
Along with all the others who in different ways at various times
Didn’t see.

Didn’t see the persecuted
Or the poor, or the lonely.

Didn’t see the beatings, or the bullying, or the exploitation.

Didn’t see what was blindingly obvious right under their noses;
or the plain wrong in what they were prepared to do

Didn’t see the process of cause and effect
which means that someone halfway across the world
can make one decision
and turn the lives of the poor upside-down.

And the irony is,
although they see us now,
the invisible ones they managed to ignore all their lives,
they still don’t see!

They ask for mercy, still blind to the fact that they showed none.
They seek help for their loved ones,
forgetting that their choices destroyed the lives of others.
They ask for someone to come back from the dead
so their family might believe,
when of course, someone already has come back from the dead,
and they didn’t pay a blind bit of notice to him.


It would be easy for me to be angry,
but somehow that emotion can’t exist here,
like fire can’t burn without oxygen.

Or maybe I could speak –
Send over a few words of comfort.
Because seeing them as they are now,
I bear them no malice.

But instead, I think I’ll keep silence and pray for mercy.
Because I already have
the only thing I ever wanted from these people.

To be seen.

9 comments:

a feckless boy said...

love this. I really love this.
A question. Do you think space is made in eternity for those blind to their own complicity in the horrors of the world to see that complicity, mourn and move on into sister and brotherhood with those they abused?

thanks

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

Thanks FB - enjoyed taking a different, more creative tack to Sunday. I've grafted on a bit of exposition at the end to flesh things out for people, but I was keen to get them beyond the simple (and wrong) equation riches=bad, poverty=good. This parable is not about riches. It's about not seeing.

As to your question, it's exactly what I was raising with you in response to 'returning what was taken' on your sermon blog.

Isn't part of the thrust of this story that, even in hell/Hades/wherever, Dives still can't see? It's not that he's not given the chance to see, he's simply unable to. Isn't that a bit like Lewis's take on hell, which is that we choose to send ourselves there? By repeated hardening of heart, do we make it almost impossible for ourselves to cross over because we are scarcely capable of making that choice?

Does God wish that we would? Absolutely. Does God leave a possibility that we could? I think so. Part of me wondered what Abraham would have said if Dives had (a) not continued to treat Lazarus like a flunky ('send him here - send him there!') or (b) expressed concern not only for his equally wealthy brethren, but for the thousands of others like Lazarus sitting at rich peoples' gates. But even in hell he still doesn't see. Is it that blindness that constitutes the 'chasm' over which he has to cross?

So I think that yes, the space is made, but a God who respects our freedom and choice has to wait for us to make that choice, and just because we're in the presence of God I don't think it follows that we'll necessarily choose constructively. That's what the Eden story's about. If being in God's presence were all we needed to help us see and do the right, whence the fall?

BUT the prospect of an eternity in the burny place seems a tad disproportionate (!), which makes me think this is redemptive punishment. Proddy purgatory!

Maybe if we spoke to Dives in a day's time, or a week's time, he'd be closer to seeing things the way they are, and that bridge across the chasm would appear, Indiana Jones style. That's why I have my narrator keep silence and pray for mercy in the end.

If Paul really means what he says when he writes 'there is nothing in life or death.... that can (finally?) separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus', surely that has to include these chasms and our blindness?

Answers on a postcard, please!

FBL

a feckless boy said...

"Is it that blindness that constitutes the 'chasm' over which he has to cross?" this makes more and more sense to me. the doors of hell must be held tightly shut only by the hands of those inside. However, God knocks eternally, willing those within to open up. And who knows, maybe Eternity is time enough to wear down the deceit of a human heart. (although how terrifying to think a human hearts freedom might wander further and further into the darkness of its own deceit -putting itself out of reach).

Opening up cannot help but be painful, becuase of what a person would have to acknowledge -not least seeing the terrible damage of a life spent making others invisible. So, yes, I think i'm all for proddy purgatory (we aren't entirely heretical here for Lewis held a similar view) - but how far we have wandered from the old calrity we once weilded about what could be expected post mortem.

Do you think we are still eligible for EA?

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

If it stands for Evangelicals Anonymous, yes....

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

Have you read 'The Five People You Meet When You Die' by Mitch Albom?

It deals with this kind of territory - you meet five people who help explain your life to you, and part of it is facing up to the consequences of your actions. This is making me want to go back and read it again....!

FBL

a feckless boy said...

I haven't, but it sounds interesting. have you read the great divorce, by CS Lewis, which is similar territory?

fb

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

Aye.

We should really be in our beds, shouldn't we?

FBL

a feckless boy said...

zzzzzzzzzzz

Unknown said...

I love this poem! It's s true and touching. Poetry is absolutely my weakness, I love it. I don't actually have a clue what the 'afterlife' is, it all got a bit complicated when I realised that it wasn't a simple matter of heaven and hell! Thank you for this. It's beautiful.