Monday 10 March 2008

In the soup

A choice phrase leapt out at me from our Social Committee's most recent minutes. These are prepared by someone we really appreciate in St Hackett's - one of the good guys - but my oh my how I laughed when I read it.

There was a bit of dispute about the quality of the food at our Burns Supper (in my view it was fine), especially the cock-a-leekie soup which was a bit stringy.

The phrase in question?

"It was agreed that the leeks could have been cut smaller".

What was it Jesus said about straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sigh. Why do we do it? How do we allow ourselves to fixate on such things!

liz crumlish said...

Glad St Hackett's is focussing on the important stuff. Get the leeks cut the right size and who knows what else might fall into place. Right upsides with every other parish church in the nation! Thank the Lord for a sense of humour.

Frederick Buechner's Lovechild said...

..and the scary thing is, I know exactly why our friend has put this in. It's because these are the stupid wee things that get people upset. Forget world poverty! Forget the fact that elderly congregation is collapsing into the arms of elderly congregation all across the land! The leeks must be well cut! And the bitching that takes place if they're not!!!

The other week I preached on "grumbling", based on the Israelites grumbling in the desert. So often I find myself echoing Moses' words in that passage: "God - what can I do with these people!".

FBL

liz crumlish said...

What you can do with these people is cut their leeks smaller!!!!

Unknown said...

"Alright everybody, we've had some complaints that the leeks weren't cut small enough. Now obviously a lot of that is down to individual preferences, and we'd like to cater for everybody.

If you look under your seats, you'll find a leek, a chopping board, and a knife. Go nuts!"